TruthAboutLymeDisease.com

TruthAboutLymeDisease.com's Forum
It is currently Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Walk for Cystic Fibrosis
PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:07 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Walk for Cystic Fibrosis
This year I was "introduced" via blog to a wonderful couple. I was introduced to "Nathan and Tricia Lawrenson." Tricia not only has Cystic Fibrosis, but also has a micropreemie daughter and just recently had a double lung transplant. Before I found their blog, I had never really heard much about Cystic Fibrosis. The only thing I really knew was that most people with CF did not live very long. I also associated it with Lung Disease. A person at the church I attend, posted this man's blog. I had no idea it would change the way I thought about many things (view on religion, organ donation, preemature babies, abortion, etc.)

Well Nathan and Tricia organized a Great Strides walk in the Outer Banks last year. They are doing the same thing this year. It will be on September 13th. I look forward to hopefully attending. In the meantime though, they have many walks in the Raleigh area. Last night Nathan posted that he and his wife were going to be at the Great Strides Walk in Cary. I decided immediately that I had to go. If you guys really knew me, you'd know that I do not drive to places I do not know. I do not go to new places alone. So I had to find a friend ... and that friend had to be willing to drive me there. This is no easy task. :) Most people have plans made in advance. Well my friend MISSY .. also was going to this same walk. She drove from Charlotte and met me in Cary so we could go to the walk together. She wanted to, but also did not want to go alone. As soon as I found out late last night .. we planned it so we could go together.

Do you know that this is amazing? My FRIEND drove 3 plus hours to do this walk with me. She got up early on a Saturday to walk with me.

The walk was amazing. The first part that I am most amazed at is just about me. Last year I did a walk for March of Dimes. In order to do the walk, I had to wear two knee braces, two ankle braces and a wrist brace. My body hurt just from walking to the car to the start of the race. It took me over 90 minutes to walk 3 miles. By the time it was over, I had to sit in my car for over an hour before I could drive home because I was in so much pain. Then I was done for the rest of the weekend. I couldn't do anything. I had to take a neurontin, celebrex, and another pain medication just to ease the pain. It barely touched it.

Today I found out I could do the 1 mile walk or the 2 mile walk. I decided we would make the decision at the turning around point whether to walk 1 mile or 2. I took my knee brace knowing that at some point it would have to go on, but was praying that I could make it through the walk without having to wear it. I knew the chances were slim, but I prefer not to have people see me wearing my brace .. even my friends much less strangers.

Well I decided that my knee felt so great that I would just leave it in the car. I not only walked the one mile .. I walked two. I didn't start hurting until the end of the race. I had to use the brace, but only after the walk was complete. The only thing that completely FREAKED ME OUT was that a lot of the race was in a wooded area. I of course before hand applied massive amounts of bug spray .. and then when I got there .. i used these bug spray towelettes all over my body. I checked msyelf when I got home. NO TICKS. yeah.

The second thing that was amazing was that I got to meet the couple that I had been reading about since December. It's one thing completely to read about a family. It's another thing to decide that those same people are special enough .. that I want to give up my day of rest to walk for a charity to honor those people. You guys know what that's like. A day of rest ... I gave it up.

I got to meet Tricia and Nathan. We talked (okay so I talked ALOT) and I felt like a complete idiot most of the time, but I enjoyed just talking with these strangers so much. They really reinforced to me just by being there that this isn't just about them ... it's about a whole community of people with Cystic Fibrosis. I mean one month ago, Tricia was literally having her lungs scraped out of her body ... and having new lungs put in. And one month and one day later, she is at a fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis. walking and talking and breathing on her own. It's a miracle. I got to witness a miracle today. Two miracles. My own miracle .. and hers. There were so many people at the walk. They all have their own stories.

Please considering helping the world of Cystic Fibrosis. Help them fund for new research that could extend the lives of people with this disease.
http://www.cff.org/Great_Strides/dsp_DonationPage.cfm?walkid=5614&idUser=120208

That is Nathan's donation page for the walk in September. I plan on going life permitting. Please consider making a donation in honor of Tricia or anyone else you know with CF.
http://cfhusband.blogspot.com/

I know you guys don't have extra monies .. but figured I'd post what I've posted on facebook and myspace (minus the stuff that was too Missy since she's not on this forum). Plus I added some stuff just for you guys because you'll understand some of it where as the rest of the world .. won't get it.

The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of all the earth. He never grows weak or weary. No one can measure the depths of his understanding. He gives power to the weak and strength to the powerless. Even youths will become weak and tired, and young men will fall in exhaustion. But those who trust in the LORD will find new strength. They will soar high on wings like eagles. They will run and not grow weary. They will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31
http://www.jmgarnet76.blogspot.com

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]