TruthAboutLymeDisease.com

TruthAboutLymeDisease.com's Forum
It is currently Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ] 
 Post subject: Immunizations for my 5 year old
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:54 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well in your treatments and HEALING.

I realize that immunizations are not good in general, and especially for those with Lyme. Well I am not sure what to do because my 5 year old daughter who is starting kindergarten needs one of her immunizations. I received a letter from the school reminding me that she needs it by september. She happens to have her physical appointment this week and I am not sure what to do.

The immunization is MMR and I don't know anything about it. Is it "safe" for her? Yes she does have chronic lyme (from birth given to her by me as my other children).

Do I not worry about it and have it done, or is it significant enough that I refuse it?

My Lyme brain is quite foggy and I actually have to check my calendar because I think her appt is tomorrow. (I look forward to having a memory again....will that come back???:) )

Post subject: Re: Immunizations for my 5 year old
PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:39 pm 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Hi Julie,
I was thinking about you today and wondering how you are? Are you still on Biaxin/doxy? Any improvements?

It is a personal decision...I personally wouldn't give my child or myself ANY immunizations of ANY kind ever.

In fact before I had LD, my son was little the school wanted update shots, I just felt in my heart they weren't good, I refused and signed a paper at the school it was against our "religion" or whatever they wanted to get him out of it.

Pray on it, even google the dangers of the shot, study..also check the posts below on flu shots,etc. No shots are good for Lyme patients. I was recently told I needed a tetanus shot...ha! yeah right.

Let us know how you are and what you decide.

Love,
Dana

Truth About Lyme Disease Home Page: http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com
Truth About Lyme Disease Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQINypsf7g

Always check w/your MD regarding advice given by me or any member at this forum & any articles & info. at this site. Site disclaimer: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:06 am 
 E-mail  Profile

I hope it's not too late for me to catch you before your appt.

You can request that your Dr. run titers for measles, mumps, and rubella antibodies. Also for the varicella antibodies if your daughter is due for the chickenpox vaccine.

More than 95% of children achieve immunity to the MMR after just one shot, and the second shot is just to be safe. Chances are your daughter does not need it, and to get another one would just be injecting her with more harmful gunk.

We ran my sons titers and he was well over the limits of what is considered immune after just one shot for both the MMR and the varicella vaccines.

If your daughter does show immunity to the vaccine, your doctor can write a note to the health dept/school that she has achieved immunity to that shot and does not need the booster. Hope this helped and that you read it before your appt.

Julie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:11 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Also, depending on what state you are in, there are religious or philosophical exemptions available. You can call your health department to find out if they are available in your state (some states don't have anything but medical exemptions available). If they are available you make an appt with your health dept and go down and apply for one.

My youngest son has been fully vaccinated EXCEPT for his kindy shots...the MMR, varicella, polio and DTaP. We ran titers for the MMR and varicella to prove immunity, and then took a religious exemption for the rest. We would have just taken a religious exemption for all, but if there is ever a measles outbreak here, I wanted proof of his immunity on record with the school so that he would not be excluded for the duration of the outbreak.

You could also consider asking your childrens llmd for a medical exemption.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:16 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Wow Julie that is awesome. I had no idea you could do that. Happily the appt was not today. I have a feeling when I do have her appt that the doctor will look at me like I am crazy (which is fine with me). My daughter (actually all of my kids) has not been to the primary doc for a long time and I haven't told them that they are positive for lyme.

Obviously I will tell them at their upcoming appts. However, they are sooooo close minded about Lyme. The doctor in particular who is going to do their physicals believes that Lyme is becoming less and less of an issue. He would think I am absolutely crazy to have my kids in treatment.

I guess that is an entirely separate issue from the immunizations. I will have to go in there prepared and confident.lol Thanks julie from Julie :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:01 pm 
Forum Moderator
 E-mail  Profile

Julie~ ugh... sorry that this is a close minded doctor... Dana and Danny just got an awesome primary doc who was even saying how ignorant docs are, and they really DO NOT know anything, etc, etc, etc, that these docs go to school read a few books and think they know everything.... so sad really.

That is a great idea to have titers checked, never thought about that.

I don't know too much about vaccinations...I just know I'm terribly against the flu shot. I swear now that's what "triggered" my lyme, yes I had it my whole life, but was functioning rather well up until 10 years ago, which is when I got my first and only flu shot...I was so sick that year, had to quit a job over it! and never been the same since.

I think vaccinations in general aren't a great idea these days, especially with a lymie... but of course, it can be hard to get around not doing it. I know Dana was able to opt out, but I swear I've heard of things where I live that we can not do that...I'm going to look into it, my kids have had first of all their shots, and seconds of most I think, I think there are still some boosters to give, but I'd really rather not if I don't have to....

please let us know how things go.

saying prayers for guidance for you, and strength to deal with this doctor.

hugs
j

(Isaiah 53:5 NKJV) But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.

Any advice given by me, is just that, advice. I am not a medical doctor, and I suggest you talk to your doctor about any concerns.

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 6 posts ]