TruthAboutLymeDisease.com

TruthAboutLymeDisease.com's Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: I was interviewed for news article on lyme disease awareness
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:39 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

You can leave a comment on the end of the article to if you click on this link:
http://www.lakegenevanews.net/Articles- ... bbons.html

Bloomfield, Genoa City, Pell Lake
What's with all those ribbons?
Program promotes Lyme disease awareness

Steve Targowrite the author

HOW TO PARTICIPATE n Order free information flyers at http://www.lymediseaseassociation.org. n Visit the information container in front of Lisa Hilton's residence at W1038 Geranium Road or call her at 745-8326. n Tie a lime green ribbon around a tree, pole or automobile antenna.

May 13, 2009 | 10:28 AM
Some people are tying lime green ribbons around trees and utility poles. They're putting up signs that mention the name "Trish."

In Pell Lake, the front of one woman's property has more ribbons than others in her neighborhood. That's because, to 41-year-old Lisa Hilton, these ribbons are important.

LYME DISEASE FACTS According to information reported in 2005 by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: n Lyme disease is spread through tick bites. A tick must be attached to a person's skin for about 24 hours before it transmits the bacterium that causes the disease. The bite is usually painless, which makes it difficult to detect. n Wisconsin is one of 12 states that account for 95 percent of the nation's Lyme disease cases. n The illness usually occurs during the summer months and often, but not always, starts as a roughly circular reddish rash around or near the tick bite. n That rash expands over a period of days or weeks, often from 4 to 12 inches in diameter or larger. During the rash stage, symptoms including fever, headache, fatigue, stiff neck, muscle and joint pain may be present. n If left untreated, within a few weeks to months after the rash onset, complications including meningitis, facial palsy, heart abnormalities and arthritis may occur. Swelling and pain in large joints may recur over several months or years in untreated Lyme disease. Not all people with the disease develop the initial skin rash.

On Friday, Hilton said the ribbons are part of The Trish Project: Ribbons Across America, a program tied into May being the state's Lyme disease awareness month.

This is a personal endeavor for Hilton, who has been struggling with Lyme disease for the past 18 years.

It is a painful, controversial disease.

"I've been diagnosed with tons of stuff, (but) I would get lost sometimes while I was driving," Hilton said. "My arms, my legs would sometimes go numb. I don't drive because of this. Sometimes, I just felt like I couldn't get out of bed (or) move my arms."

Bloomfield, Genoa City, Pell Lake

Recent Bloomfield, Genoa City, Pell Lake

Bloomfield Town Board wants out of county zoning
May 07, 2009
Five-hour standoff leads to jail time
Apr 30, 2009
A full plate
Apr 30, 2009
Get your gloves, help make Bloomfield litter-free
Apr 30, 2009
Trying a different mindset
Apr 30, 2009

Extras

comments to this article
e-mail this article link to a friend
print this article

According to Hilton, the identification and treatment of Lyme disease is mired in red tape. Currently, there's a bill at the House of Representatives level to change the way people are tested for the disease and the treatment.

She said doctors are not allowed to treat Lyme with long-term antibiotics.

"It's funny because you can treat acne with long-term antibiotics, but you can't treat Lyme disease," Hilton said.

Also, the reliability of the tests used to diagnose Lyme disease is in question. What's worse, symptoms of Lyme disease mirror those of other afflictions.

"If you get bit by a tick, whether you get a bulls-eye rash or not, (if) you get treated right away, you have a chance of treating it," Hilton said.

click to see advertisement
For her, that wasn't the case. A doctor finally determined Hilton had Lyme disease after she suffered with her symptoms for about 15 years.

"I was diagnosed so late that I don't think I'll ever get better," she said.

Few doctors are Lyme savvy, Hilton said. Her doctor practices in Fond du Lac.

The nature of the disease makes her bad days bedridden affairs.

"On a good day, I can go to Wal-Mart or something," she said.

Because Lyme disease is transferred by insects, specifically ticks, someone infected with Lyme disease also is more susceptible to other diseases.

"But everybody is different," Hilton said. "You could be a carrier for years and years before it comes out."

For her, it started with panic attacks and increased anxiety. Her joints grew stiffer. She experienced bouts of confusion.

Hilton said Lyme disease can lead to clinical depression.

"They say that's the biggest overlooked symptom on the psychiatric side of it," she said.

Ribbons

The goal of The Trish Project is to use lime green ribbons to make people ask questions. So far, people have tied them in several locations throughout Elkhorn, Lake Geneva, Pell Lake, Genoa City and Linn Townships.

Hilton said some places that have displayed ribbons include the Pell Lake Mobil, where she worked with her husband, Jason; the Genoa City Retirement Home, another place she used to work; and Genoa City Foods.

She said other people are tying these ribbons.

That's encouraging to Hilton, who hopes more people know about the difficulties people with Lyme disease face.

Eventually, she hopes the chances of cutting through the red tape preventing better testing methods and treatment improve the more people know about Lyme disease.

"If I could save one person, if one mom looks down and sees a tick on their kid, pulls it off and notices the bite right away, I've saved a life," Hilton said.

Reader Feedback

Lyme Ribbons
May 16, 2009 | 05:13 PM

Thank you to the reporter who wrote this story and is helping the ever growing lyme community of this country and around the world raise awareness. This disease is so politically smothered, people are dying. June Under Our Skin documentary mentions all you need to know about lyme and the political connection. We need all the articles we can get to get the word out. NO state, no country is safe.

Thanks to this paper and the reporter for getting the word out there. Keep up the good work, as you are saving lives. Get your green ribbons out in front of business and homes to show support until our LYme bill passes HR 1179.

Trish McCleary, Sturbridge, MA

Lyme Ribbons
May 16, 2009 | 05:13 PM

Thank you to the reporter who wrote this story and is helping the ever growing lyme community of this country and around the world raise awareness. This disease is so politically smothered, people are dying. June Under Our Skin documentary mentions all you need to know about lyme and the political connection. We need all the articles we can get to get the word out. NO state, no country is safe.

Thanks to this paper and the reporter for getting the word out there. Keep up the good work, as you are saving lives. Get your green ribbons out in front of business and homes to show support until our LYme bill passes HR 1179.

Trish McCleary, Sturbrige, MA

Tick Borne Disease
May 16, 2009 | 01:16 PM

Love ya Lisa for doing this. Lyme Disease is virtually ignored by the media, yet it is the number one vector borne disease, more people understand W.Nile than LD. Also, the rash is not seen everyone a very small percentage ever see a bite or a rash - leaving many sick and lost to what is wrong with them. 6 in my family with Chronic Lyme experience everything from major psych symptoms to severe pain.

http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com

Cog1st, California

Lyme in Wisconsin
May 15, 2009 | 04:57 PM

I have had lyme disease over 20 years - biten in Dodge county. Just started treatment for it finally - after being so sick - also gave this to my three girls. They are not on treatment but will never get back the childhood that they lost!! UW Hospital has no idea and will not even listen to lyme disease - my friend right now is dying in the hospital because they say she doesnt have lyme disease even her test was possitive!! Wake up EVERYONE - how many more of us have to die - suffer - or just pray that we will die soon - what happened to my dreams of growing up - what about my kids - why does no one listen!! Thank you for doing what you do and I pray things will start changing with this terrible disease -

Diane, Beaver Dam, WI

Lyme in Wisconsin
May 15, 2009 | 04:56 PM

I have had lyme disease over 20 years - biten in Dodge county. Just started treatment for it finally - after being so sick - also gave this to my three girls. They are not on treatment but will never get back the childhood that they lost!! UW Hospital has no idea and will not even listen to lyme disease - my friend right now is dying in the hospital because they say she doesnt have lyme disease even her test was possitive!! Wake up EVERYONE - how many more of us have to die - suffer - or just pray that we will die soon - what happened to my dreams of growing up - what about my kids - why does no one listen!! Thank you for doing what you do and I pray things will start changing with this terrible disease -

Diane, Beaver Dam, WI

Thank you
May 15, 2009 | 01:04 PM

I have recently been diagnosed with Lyme Disease and had been misdiagnosed for many, many years previously. It is a horrible disease that can effect every system in your body. Thank you for taking the time to publish this article. There are many people (Doctors included) who do not know enough about this disease and we need to get the public educated on this. Thanks again!

MV, Wisconsin

May 15, 2009 | 11:21 AM

Thanks Lisa,

I too suffer from lymes - was misdiagnosed. Made to feel like I am crazy or a drug seeker for the extreme pain we suffer. Literally had IDSA guidlines thrown at me in the hospital when I had lost so much weight, I was 95 lbs and losing. Finally I put two and two together and figured out that a small part of my pain came along with my monthly cycle, so obtained a hysterectomy - thank God I had had cervical pre-cancer, so they "allowed" it. Now I don't have to go to the hospital every month - no more guidlines thrown at me there.

Good luck,

MJ

MJ

May 15, 2009 | 06:41 AM

Please go and see the patents many of the IDSA/CDC personnel own,

and how they narrowed the disease defination of Lyme to profit

off the sick and dying. They try to say "it's all in our heads" when it's all in their pockets.

http://www.lymecryme.com

View LymeCryme Overview PowerPoint presentation:

http://www.lymecryme.com/rich_text_18.html

HELP END THE SUFFERING!

EMPOWER yourself, EMPOWER others...

Freethinker, Mt. Vernon, IL

MAY IS LYME AWARENESS MONTH & TRISH RIBBONS ACROSS AMERICA! :)
May 15, 2009 | 12:29 AM

Steve,

Thank you for the wonderful article on Lisa, the Lime GREEN RIBBONS ACROSS AMERICA, PROJECT RISH, and the sidelines explaining things about LYME FACTS.

Our lyme and tick-borne disease bill has been in congress over 10 years, and NO action to even get it "scheduled to be discussed in subcommittee" all these years! HOG WASH!

Interesting sub-committee Frank Pallone was paid over $505,000 by medical professionals in lobbyist money!

Now who is he going to listen to: the IDSA/infectious drs. society or to us lyme/co-infection patients who have to PAY OUT OF POCKET and are broke who can't give him one dime! FOLLOW THE MONEY!

I've had chronic lyme disease for 39 years last Christmas; 34.5 years MISDIAGNOSED by 40-50 drs!! UNACCEPTABLE!

I was the one who pursued in getting a lyme diagnosis by having a western blot igm and igg blood test sent to IGENEX, CALIF for all protein bands to be tested. POSITIVE; my pcp of 27 years clinically diagnosed me. I was his 1st lyme patient in over 30 yrs.

All 50 states have lyme; see the link below to follow each state:

1980 – Jan. 2008 …all 50 states broken down by years!

http://www.lyme.org/resources/1980-cumulative.htm

Dr. Burrascano's most recent "Diagnostic Hints and 2008 Treatment Guidelines for Lyme and Other Tick Borne Illnesses" .

http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/treat ... lines.html

It is recommended to be on 3 months of antibiotics after an initial tick bite; 2 extra months showing NO SYMPTOMS before discontinuing antibiotics.

YOU DO NOT WANT TO END UP LIKE US! We wouldn't wish lyme/co-infections on our worst enemies.

We also want our health insurance companies to pay their FAIR SHARE as they do cancer, AIDS, and HIV patients!!

We just want EQUALITY and QUALITY OF LIFE; that isn't too much to ask, is it? NOPE.

BettyG,, Iowa lyme activist

Thank you Lisa
May 14, 2009 | 09:26 PM

I have suffering with Lyme disease for three years with no light at the end of the tunnel. I was exposied to ticks in northern Wisconsin, and the Upper penincila of Michigan over the Memorial day holiday. I removed over thirty tick from my body, many being of the nymph size, no larger than the periods at the end of this sentence..... In my case even though I had confirmed tick exposure, and many serious symptoms, because I tested sero-negative on the Lyme test, I was not given antibiotics. I spent the next thirteen months going from doctor to doctor, before I finally found one willing to give me a clinical diagnosis. I have just recently tested positive for Ehrlichiosis, in addition to Lyme ( Borrelia burgdorferi ). Unfortunatly for me, and many others here in Wisconsin, and around the world, very little is truely known about Lyme disease and other tick borne diseases such as Babesiosis, Ehrlichiosis, Bartonella, and Tularemia. The blood tests for Lyme disease is unreliable, and out of date, the testing for the other tick borne diseases is nearly non-existent. I can only hope that more research, and better tests can be developed before more lives are ruined. Chronic Lyme disease does exist, a cure does not.

Brandon, Kenosha

http://www.myspace.com/aloha6728

Post subject: Re: I was interviewed for news article on lyme disease awareness
PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 10:14 pm 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Great job Lisa... everyone comment! :jumpy:

Truth About Lyme Disease Home Page: http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com
Truth About Lyme Disease Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQINypsf7g

Always check w/your MD regarding advice given by me or any member at this forum & any articles & info. at this site. Site disclaimer: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:05 am 
Forum Moderator
 E-mail  Profile

LIsa that is just awesome!!!! I'm so happy you had this opportunity. I had been feeling so bad lately I had not gotten a chance to do the ribbons, but I'm making a trip to the store today and getting some, and gona print out flyers to hand out too. Not sure if I'll be able to do the youtube thing like Dana did, that would take a second willing participant to hold the camera, and well, I don't have one of those...hub wants NOTHING to do with me, and the kids will have the camera all over...I wonder if I can do it with my regular digital camera, it takes video, if I could splice all the video together....

kudos lovely :)

(Isaiah 53:5 NKJV) But He was wounded for our transgressions, He was bruised for our iniquities; The chastisement for our peace was upon Him, And by His stripes we are healed.

Any advice given by me, is just that, advice. I am not a medical doctor, and I suggest you talk to your doctor about any concerns.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:00 pm 
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

That's great Jaime, Yeah that was awesome what Dana did. And good you're doing the ribbon thing too!

And Dana, thank you for commenting on the article!

Teamwork!

:hug:

http://www.myspace.com/aloha6728

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 10:31 am 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

Great job Lisa!! :hug:

"...I am the LORD who heals you." - Exodus 15:26

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 5 posts ]