TruthAboutLymeDisease.com

TruthAboutLymeDisease.com's Forum
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:56 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Antidepressants and Lyme, continued
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:03 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Well I have been reading along the thread that mentioned lyme and antidepressants, and I wanted to add a few things but I figured I should start its own thread about it, so as not to take away from Krissy's topic.

I too have been on and off of antidepressants, and currently I am in the process of weaning off of Zoloft for good. I originally went on Effexor when I was in my 20s and majorly depressed, also diagnosed with OCD and put on anti-psychotic meds for the obsessive thoughts. ALso something else which I can't remember anymore. Well Effexor really did save me for a time; within 5 days I felt the veil of depression lift off of my head, almost physically. I was able to work, take care of my son, and continue to go to grad school. However the side effects were horrible, the fatigue was horrendous, I was dizzy, etc...and when I went off of it a year or so later, I swear I thought I was dying. I was so physically sick from going off it, it was a nightmare. I was in my first year of teaching at the time and I had to take a whole week off from work. The brain fog was indescribable...I really think being on an antidepressant made (and makes) the brain fog so much worse. I also think it is so difficult to go off of the zoloft because of the lyme.

Then I got married and had 3 more kids, and each pregnancy was so horrible as far as mood and irritability, I was depressed, the works. So I was on Zoloft post-partum every time. After The last baby (she is 2 and a half) I decided I would NOT need Zoloft and I would just exercise and eat right and take supplements. Well within 6 weeks I thought I would lose my mind. I could not deal with anything. (not much different than today, lol). So I went back on it. Upped it to 100. Don't feel like it really ever did much. But now as I wean off of it, it is sooo hard. I am doing it so slowly, but I have no choice.

Another thing is, now that I look back and know that all these years I had lyme, it makes sense that medications messed me up so much. I never really could drink, although in college I wanted to and did, but I would be SO SICK for days after....even today, I doin't drink at all because even a half of a glass of wine puts me in bed for 3 days. (that might be a slight exaggeration but not by much). I always wondered what was "wrong with me" that I couldn't drink, couldn't even take Midol or anything except motrin or I would be ZONKED.

I just figured I was "sensitive" to drugs of any kind....and I guess I was....but now I know why. Similarly, I tried to go on birth control pills several different times and each time I became completely depressed and unable to function. Then a few years back my doctor suggested this new birth control that wouldn't have any of the side effects of the other ones...I hesitatingly agreed to try it (my husband and I weren't planning on having baby #4 :) and within days of starting it, I was completely in a fog of depression.

Now that I look back, one time being on a birth control pill, my legs became so achy and painful, I remember telling my doctor this and I really think she thought I was a hypochondriac. I thought it was so strange that being on the pill hurt my legs so bad.

I wondered if anyone else had similar experiences- Julie

Post subject: Re: Antidepressants and Lyme, continued
PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:31 pm 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

After a car accident that broke my collar bone in half, the bone would not heal. I was in pain management and I have ALWAYS been sensitive to all medications, a little dab will do me fine. That is when they tried to put me on Prozac...nightmare, I went "haywire" the first day, just felt like I was losing my mind. So I figured my neurotransmitters did not want to be messed with.

I do think that all these "signs" you had for so many past years with depression, etc., were symptoms of lyme. Looking back I've had symptoms of LD my entire life, although it was never disabling. I so believe I was born with Lyme because at age 6 I clearly remember having "panic" attacks, I didn't know what they were then, but looking back I now know. I also always had stomach problems my entire life and then neck pain in my 20's. Then the big boy's came in the 90's - Migraines, Vertigo and the collar bone not healing. I also had brain lesions in the 90's apparently, I wasn't aware of the lesions in the 90's until this past year when it was divulged by a radiologist after a brain MRI that the brain lesions appeared the same as they did in the 90's. The doctor in the 90's ordered a brain MRI for migraines I was having & told me the MRI was normal..he lied. I don't believe however that congenital lyme was it, I have been bitten by hundreds of fleas and likely ticks too when I was into animal rescue.

Ok, so anyway..

I also know that the SSRI's are extremely hard to stop. I have read other lymie experiences that sound horrific.

Most LLMd's I have been to want to Rx the older tricyclic antidepressants such as Elavil. From what I have read, many claim they work well for them. I am too afraid to try after my experience w/Prozac.

My son (silver) did try Elavil and he had an "episode" similar to my Prozac episode, he was up all night sure he was going crazy - one time he tried, like me and had to quit. Elavil really sounds IDEAL because it reduces pain, helps with sleep and anxiety. Have you tried switching from the SSRI's to the tricyclics? Maybe they'd work even better.

Have you talked to your LLMd about any of this. I think she'd find it interesting and ask if she thinks you'd feel better on the tricyclics.

Also, many LLMd's do SPECT scans that show much more than MRI's , such as blood flow and physical problem in the brain - have you had one? Most lymies do, I opted for the brain MRI.

Truth About Lyme Disease Home Page: http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com
Truth About Lyme Disease Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQINypsf7g

Always check w/your MD regarding advice given by me or any member at this forum & any articles & info. at this site. Site disclaimer: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:45 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Cog1st wrote:
After a car accident that broke my collar bone in half, the bone would not heal. I was in pain management and I have ALWAYS been sensitive to all medications, a little dab will do me fine. That is when they tried to put me on Prozac...nightmare, I went "haywire" the first day, just felt like I was losing my mind. So I figured my neurotransmitters did not want to be messed with.

I do think that all these "signs" you had for so many past years with depression, etc., were symptoms of lyme. Looking back I've had symptoms of LD my entire life, although it was never disabling. I so believe I was born with Lyme because at age 6 I clearly remember having "panic" attacks, I didn't know what they were then, but looking back I now know. I also always had stomach problems my entire life and then neck pain in my 20's. Then the big boy's came in the 90's - Migraines, Vertigo and the collar bone not healing. I also had brain lesions in the 90's apparently, I wasn't aware of the lesions in the 90's until this past year when it was divulged by a radiologist after a brain MRI that the brain lesions appeared the same as they did in the 90's. The doctor in the 90's ordered a brain MRI for migraines I was having & told me the MRI was normal..he lied. I don't believe however that congenital lyme was it, I have been bitten by hundreds of fleas and likely ticks too when I was into animal rescue.

Ok, so anyway..

I also know that the SSRI's are extremely hard to stop. I have read other lymie experiences that sound horrific.

Most LLMd's I have been to want to Rx the older tricyclic antidepressants such as Elavil. From what I have read, many claim they work well for them. I am too afraid to try after my experience w/Prozac.

My son (silver) did try Elavil and he had an "episode" similar to my Prozac episode, he was up all night sure he was going crazy - one time he tried, like me and had to quit. Elavil really sounds IDEAL because it reduces pain, helps with sleep and anxiety. Have you tried switching from the SSRI's to the tricyclics? Maybe they'd work even better.

Have you talked to your LLMd about any of this. I think she'd find it interesting and ask if she thinks you'd feel better on the tricyclics.

Also, many LLMd's do SPECT scans that show much more than MRI's , such as blood flow and physical problem in the brain - have you had one? Most lymies do, I opted for the brain MRI.

Hi Dana (and anyone else!), yes I am certain I have had Lyme (and bart, bab, and ehrlich) since I lived in Connecticut when I was 12. We lived there for a year (dad worked fro IBM so we moved a few times) and I believe it is there that I got sick initially, as well as my sis and one of my brothers. I also believe it is quite possible that I may also have been born with it and re-infected. My mom recently tested for lyme and the same coinfections as me and my sister. Also, HER mom had dementia but the doctors didn't really know what it was - apparently what she had wasn't Alzheimers. I think there is a possibility that even my mom's mom had lyme. My mom said that as a child growing up in Rhode Island, she and her best friend had ticks in them "all the time."

For me the onset of panic attacks was around age 13, a little while after moving from CT to Dutchess County, NY. I have had many many symptoms over the years, which I am trying to write up in some sort of "story."

As far as the SSRIs and tricyclics, I have talked to my doc about it and she agreed that I could go off the zoloft. I really do not have ANY interest in being on another kind, although if I should change my mind someday, I will consider tricyclics. But I really don't want to be on any of those. My thinking is, before I knew I had lyme, I didn't understand why I was so moody and weepy...so I figured I must just "need" antidepressants. But now it is all clear to me, and I don't have that fear about "what is wrong with me." Don't know if that makes any sense.

Yes my LLMD did give me a script for a spect scan and I haven't had it done because I don't feel like going through with it until I know that the right scan is done and that it is read by the RIGHT kind of doctor, etc. I think I have to go into New York City to get it done (properly) and I SOOOOOOO don't feel like it.
Goodnite!! :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:39 am 
 E-mail  WWW  YIM  Profile

I hope you don't mind me speaking my opinion but it makes me mad when i read stories of a young man stuck on effexor and he can't get off it and so many other stories i have read on search engines about it. They have no problem with that? but giving someone abx for two years ohh that's very bad? anti depressants is no problem being on them for years and years they don't seem to have a problem with that when it causes suicidal thoughts and all kinds of aggression and rage etc.

I don't know if i am wrong somebody correct me on this because i see a hypocritical agenda by these Docs they give out Prozac like candy but abx is the forbidden fruit. If someone is getting good results from antidepressants i think it's Ok for you but most that i have read have had horrible experiences.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:29 am 
 E-mail  Profile

Hey guys I respect all your opinions. I guess I am just one of the lucky ones. I have been on anti-depressants since I was 22, right before I was infected with Lyme. Depression runs in my family and just about everyone has some sort of mental illness.

I have tried Nortripulin, Amytripulin, Zoloft, Paxil, Prozac, Celaxa, Cymbalta, and Lexapro.
I only responded well to only Celaxa and Lexapro.
I was on Celaxa for 4 years and then it's time run out, did not work well anymore. I guess I became immune to it.

I have been on Lexapro for the last 3 years and I do very well on it. Before I got my Lyme dx I was not depressed. After the dx and seeing how long treatment was well that will depress anyone.

I was on anti-depressants thru out ALL my pregnancies and responded well.

I could not imagine not being on anti-depressants. I am very high strung and very mean and depressed when not taking them.
For me I love them and will probably stay on them my whole life. I tried to go off, slowly, before and it was not good.

Like I said I guess I am one of the lucky one's who has Lyme and does well on anti-depressants. The right ones of course.

The Cymbalta was the worst. IMO i do not suggest this to anyone.

Krissy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:49 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

I totally understand why you take antidepressants, Krissy. Actually, as I was reading your post I was thinking, I wonder if there is something (an antidepressant) that WOULD help with those things like you mentioned. I wonder if the Zoloft just couldn't do it, but maybe something else could. I would do just about anything to not have the severe irritability and mood swings, which I have had for many years. I don't feel like effexor or zoloft has helped that, and I guess I am hoping that with treatment maybe those symptoms would reverse (I believe they ARE symptoms of lyme or bart or ehrlichia, can't remember which...) . I hope I am not being unrealistic here.

I don't know, after the horrible withdrawl from effexor and zoloft and their side effects, I think I will try to do without for a while. However I agree that for some people, antidepressants are great, I think each of our systems handle things differently.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:12 pm 
 E-mail  Profile

Krissy - You sound a lot like me. I can't imagine my life without anti-depressants. I was very lucky in that the first drug I was prescribed worked very well for me. I've been on Paxil for about 17 years and it has totally changed my life.

I used to have severe social anxiety as well as depression. My mother and father both had severe anxiety and my father was bi-polar (untreated!). Most of my sibs have some sort of phychological problem - most easily treated with anti anxiety meds and anti depressants (and therapy). We also suffer from insomnia. One of my brothers (he's been bad all his life and has been on SSDI for 10 years for phsychological reasons only) is now having Electro Convulsive Therapy. He's now weaning down on the treatments. He has depression, delusions and scitzophrenia (sp?). I sure hope this works - his anti depressants stopped working when he changed to generic (changed back but they still didn't work).

Many of our issues were probably genetic (my maternal grandmother was severely depressed and my paternal grandmother was just plain crazy) but we also suffered from my Dad's crazy behavior (I could write a book) I was afraid of my Dad until the day he died. He loved us very much, though, I know that for sure and have very good memories, too.

I agree that antidepressants are over prescribed. My daughter suffered from bedwetting until she was seven and her pediatrician wanted to put her on an antidepressant because a side effect was that if taken at night it cured bedwetting! I said NO WAY - if she needed it for depression, fine, but not for bedwetting. He ended up putting her on it when my husband took her in for an appointment - of course I took her off of it as soon as I realized it was an antidepressant. And I was very angry and quickly changed doctors.

It seems like if doctors can't figure out what's wrong (like LYME) they say "here's an antidepressant".

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 7 posts ]