TruthAboutLymeDisease.com

TruthAboutLymeDisease.com's Forum
It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:43 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ] 
 Post subject: Move it or truly lose the battle, exercise the key, w/ideas
PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:08 pm 
Site Admin
 E-mail  WWW  Profile

You will not recover without an exercise program - some ideas...
(Always check with you doctor before starting ANY physical routine)

Dr. Burrascano, pioneer in TBD's treatment has said over and over again, more important than antibiotics is exercise, you will not recover without it!

From his guidelines at this link, page 31 he lays out what Lyme patients should and should not do to recover: http://www.ilads.org/lyme_disease/B_gui ... _17_08.pdf

LYME DISEASE REHABILITATION
Despite antibiotic treatments, patients will NOT return to normal unless they exercise, so therefore an
aggressive rehab program is absolutely necessary. It is a fact that a properly executed exercise program can
actually go beyond the antibiotics in helping to clear the symptoms and to maintain a remission.
Although the scientific basis for the benefits of exercises is not known, there are several reasonable theories. It
is known that Bb will die if exposed to all but the tiniest oxygen concentrations. If an aggressive exercise
program can increase tissue perfusion and oxygen levels, then this may play a role in what is being seen.
Also, during aggressive exercise, the core body temperature can rise above 102 degrees; it is known that B.
burgdorferi is very heat sensitive. Perhaps it is the added tissue oxygenation, or higher body temperature, or
the combination that weakens the Lyme Borrelia, and allows the antibiotics and our defenses to be more
effective. Regular exercise-related movements can help mobilize lymph and enhance circulation. In addition,
there is now evidence that a carefully structured exercise program may benefit T-cell function: this function will
depress for 12 to 24+ hours after exercise, but then rebound. This T-cell depression is more pronounced after
aerobics which is why aerobics are not allowed. The goal is to exercise intermittently, with exercise days
separated by days of total rest, including an effort to have plenty of quality sleep. The trick is to time the
exercise days to take advantage of these rebounds. For an example, begin with an exercise day followed by 3
to 5 rest days; as stamina improves, then fewer rest days will be needed in between workouts. However,
because T-cell functions do fall for at least one day after aggressive exercises, be sure to never exercise two
days in a row. Finally, an in intermittent exercise program, properly executed, may help to reset the HPA axis
more towards normal. On the following page is an exercise prescription that details these recommendations.
This program may begin with classical physical therapy if necessary. The physical therapy should involve
massage, heat, ultrasound and simple range of motion exercises to relieve discomfort and promote better sleep
and flexibility. Ice (vasoconstriction) and electrical stimulation (muscle spasm and trauma) should not be used!
The program must evolve into a graded, ultimately strenuous exercise program that consists of a specific
regimen of non-aerobic conditioning- see below. Have the patient complete a gentle hour of prescribed exercise,
then go home, have a hot bath or shower, than try to take a nap. Initially, patients will need this sleep, but as
they recover, the exercise will energize them and then a nap will no longer be needed.
NOTE: a cardiac stress test may be necessary prior to exercising to ensure safety.

Don't know where to begin? Here are some ideas:

Don't go crazy, start very low and very slow. Having a trainer or a physical therapist would be ideal, but most of us cannot afford that. If you work too hard at first and hurt too much after the first few work outs, there is nothing that will make you quit faster! So it may seem utterly worthless at first, but slooooooowww and easy, you will work up to a more rigorous workout and your body will tell you when it is ready. Starting w/5 minutes a few days a week is a great start.

First I must say, you will be surprised just how deconditioned you are, especially if you have been like me, taking my antibiotics and resting much of the time. But I must admit, I thought I was getting plenty of exercise by walking at the grocery store, lifting the bags, unloading, walking up and down my stairs several times a day and even taking my dog on a walk...nope, this is not exercise, as I quickly learned, I know, bummer.

Benefits noticed almost immediately, because muscle was built to move, not waste away from non use!

Secondly, I was seriously surprised that after only a couple of weeks of religiously planned/days workouts, how much stronger I began to feel. It is a life style change. Many people have started workout programs and gotten well, as soon as they stop they relapse.

So, remember, this is going to have to be a "forever" commitment and well worth it. You can google the benefits, I have listed some benefits below. You have to look at this like this, we have 24 hours in a day, 20, 30 or even 60 minutes of exercise seems unbelievable this could help us get well and that the other 23 hours of the day we can rest if we want! To me that sounds too good to be true, but it isn't.

People have much different levels to what they can and cannot do. Stretching is a good place to start and many stretching movements can be found online. If you can follow by a medium paced walk on the treadmill, without getting heart rate way up at first, this can be a good place to start.

I personally have tried aerobics and it tired me out too much, it was much too strenuous. Others can do aerobics and some have even said it helped them recover. Aerobics in my healthier days were a breeze, but not anymore.

Weight training was difficult for me, even using the lightest weights, it threw my central nervous system into a "tizzy" and I quit both aerobics and weight training.

I have found the absolute best exercise for me, Resistance Band Training. It has the benefits of weight training without the CNS upset and you can start low and gradually work your way up from light band to heavy band workouts. Resistance bands can be bought on Ebay or other online stores and I encourage you to google the subject and you can learn routines on YouTube. Resitance bands can be used even if you have to sit or lie down to start!

I must admit, sitting around and taking antibiotics has not worked for me. As I write this I am a month or so into my workouts, having to start with light bands and low reps, usually followed by an Infrared sauna. (Infrared sauna benefits are truly endless, read more here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1663
I realize there is no magic pill, there is work involved in getting well and adding Infrared sauna can be miraculous. (Remember Bb is extremely heat and oxygen sensitive).

Some lyme patients are finding Wii Fit video "games" to be fun and a great way to get into shape (interactive physical games).

Another addition to my band workouts is "Foam rolling" this is excellent for Myofascial pain release. Although, it could be considered a workout in itself, I use it for a warm up and cool down before band training.

More on Foam rolling:

KINETIC CHAIN CONCEPTS from: http://www.performbetter.com/catalog/ma ... ialRelease

By performing Self-Myofascial Release techniques on a simple piece of foam, you can improve flexibility, function, performance, and reduce injuries. In a nutshell, you use your own body weight to roll on the round foam roll, massaging away restrictions to normal soft-tissue extensibility. And you can perform this program at home, maximizing their recovery time.

For the health and fitness professional to understand how this “magical” foam roll does all that, a basic understanding of the kinetic chain must be acknowledged. The kinetic chain is made up of the soft tissue system (muscle, tendon, ligament, and fascia), neural system (nerves and CNS), and articular system (joints)6. The kinetic chain works as an integrated functional unit. All components of the kinetic chain exist interdependently. If one segment is not functioning efficiently, then the other components must compensate, leading to tissue overload, fatigue, faulty movement patterns, and finally initiates the Cumulative Injury Cycle3,5,10,12. For example, muscle tightness restricts the range of motion that a joint may be moved. Because of muscle restriction (tightness, soft tissue adhesions, and neural-hyperactivity), joint motion is altered, thus changing normal neural feedback to the CNS (central nervous system). Ultimately, neuromuscular efficiency is compromised , which leads to poor movement patterns, inducing premature fatigue and causing injury. The SMFR (Self-Myofascial Release) Program helps improve muscular balance and performance.

You can google Foam Rolling and find videos and "routines" on this as well.

Both Resistance bands and foam rolling are inexpensive items that may well be worth the cost.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Can exercise cure disease?: From: http://www.ayurvediccure.com/womensheal ... -ailments/
One thing that you must agree to me is the fact that your body needs high energy level to do work. We feel energized after having session of exercises. Exercises are extremely important for you as they provide your body with the vigor that fights the ailments in the body. The best thing about these exercises is that they do not leave any harmful effect on your body.
According to newly available facts about exercises, it is said that exercises have the capacity to overcome certain harmful disease. They can cure many diseases quite magically. So if you really want to do good to yourself, follow the given advices here and experience the benefit by yourself:

I do not find enough time:

This is a lame excuse as it is not believable that you do not have at least 30 minutes for the job. You can say this only when you grow the habit of not doing anything by yourself. You are actually overlooking your own health. Do not wait to get ill and prepare yourself to get the proper measures to keep you fine and fit. Take exercises regularly and do not show any excuse for not doing these exercises.

Oversleeping:

Exercises are also like medicines that have the capacity to cure certain diseases completely. If you have forgotten to take exercises due to any possible reason, then make sure you take them now. Do not overlook these exercises as they may cause serious consequences later on and that may be bad. So you can take these exercises whenever you get time even if it is for a few moments.

I stayed late at work:

Your work is undoubtedly important but what I want to say is that you should not ignore exercises for your work. Take at least 2 sets of 20 push ups, 2 sets of 20 ad crunches, and 2 sets of 25 jumping jacks. You must try to get the time for exercises as they are really very important and are needed by your body.

It’s too cold/ hot outside:

If this is your problem, then get the required equipments at home for a very reasonable price or else join a gym located to nearer place. You can carry out your exercises from your house or from the gym. This won’t effect your position at all and you will be comfortable here.

My time schedule is too unpredictable to manage:

This is a very common situation but you need not worry here. You can do your exercises after managing your homely matters. It may happen to anybody as work may be urgent and may require immediate attention. So what?

You can reschedule your routine only for that day. Do your exercise whenever you get time but make sure that it does not happen frequently. The only thing I wish to say that exercises are serious matters, and do not make fun of them. Continue doing them and feel good and healthy.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

7 Benefits of exercise by the Mayo Clinic:
Exercise: 7 benefits of regular physical activity
You know exercise is good for you — but do you know how good? From boosting your mood to improving your sex life, find out how exercise can improve your life.
By Mayo Clinic staff

Want to feel better, have more energy and perhaps even live longer? Look no further than old-fashioned exercise.

The merits of regular physical activity — from preventing chronic health conditions to promoting weight loss and better sleep — are hard to ignore. And the benefits are yours for the taking, regardless of age, sex or physical ability. Need more convincing? Check out seven specific ways exercise can improve your life.

1. Exercise improves your mood.
Need to blow off some steam after a stressful day? A workout at the gym or a brisk 30-minute walk can help you calm down.

Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed than you were before you worked out. You'll also look better and feel better when you exercise regularly, which can boost your confidence and improve your self-esteem. Regular physical activity can even help prevent depression.

2. Exercise combats chronic diseases.
Worried about heart disease? Hoping to prevent osteoporosis? Physical activity might be the ticket.

Regular physical activity can help you prevent — or manage — high blood pressure. Your cholesterol will benefit, too. Regular physical activity boosts high-density lipoprotein (HDL), or "good," cholesterol while decreasing triglycerides. This one-two punch keeps your blood flowing smoothly by lowering the buildup of plaques in your arteries.

And there's more. Regular physical activity can help you prevent type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and certain types of cancer.

3. Exercise helps you manage your weight.
Want to drop those excess pounds? Trade some couch time for walking or other physical activities.

This one's a no-brainer. When you engage in physical activity, you burn calories. The more intense the activity, the more calories you burn — and the easier it is to keep your weight under control. You don't even need to set aside major chunks of time for working out. Take the stairs instead of the elevator. Walk during your lunch break. Do jumping jacks during commercials. Better yet, turn off the TV and take a brisk walk. Dedicated workouts are great, but physical activity you accumulate throughout the day helps you burn calories, too.
4. Exercise boosts your energy level.
Winded by grocery shopping or household chores? Don't throw in the towel. Regular physical activity can leave you breathing easier.

Physical activity delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues. In fact, regular physical activity helps your entire cardiovascular system — the circulation of blood through your heart and blood vessels — work more efficiently. Big deal? You bet! When your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you'll have more energy to do the things you enjoy.

5. Exercise promotes better sleep.
Struggling to fall asleep? Or stay asleep? It might help to boost your physical activity during the day.

A good night's sleep can improve your concentration, productivity and mood. And you guessed it — physical activity is sometimes the key to better sleep. Regular physical activity can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. There's a caveat, however. If you exercise too close to bedtime, you may be too energized to fall asleep. If you're having trouble sleeping, you might want to exercise earlier in the day.

6. Exercise can put the spark back into your sex life.
Are you too tired to have sex? Or feeling too out of shape to enjoy physical intimacy? Physical activity to the rescue.

Regular physical activity can leave you feeling energized and looking better, which may have a positive effect on your sex life. But there's more to it than that. Regular physical activity can lead to enhanced arousal for women, and men who exercise regularly are less likely to have problems with erectile dysfunction than are men who don't exercise — especially as they get older.

7. Exercise can be — gasp — fun!
Wondering what to do on a Saturday afternoon? Looking for an activity that suits the entire family? Get physical!

Physical activity doesn't have to be drudgery. Take a ballroom dancing class. Check out a local climbing wall or hiking trail. Push your kids on the swings or climb with them on the jungle gym. Plan a neighborhood kickball or touch football game. Find a physical activity you enjoy, and go for it. If you get bored, try something new. If you're moving, it counts!

Are you convinced? Good. Start reaping the benefits of regular physical activity today!

Mayo Clinic - Exercise and Depression relief: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/depres ... se/MH00043
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Can exercise cure disease?: From: http://www.ayurvediccure.com/womensheal ... -ailments/
One thing that you must agree to me is the fact that your body needs high energy level to do work. We feel energized after having session of exercises. Exercises are extremely important for you as they provide your body with the vigor that fights the ailments in the body. The best thing about these exercises is that they do not leave any harmful effect on your body.
According to newly available facts about exercises, it is said that exercises have the capacity to overcome certain harmful disease. They can cure many diseases quite magically. So if you really want to do good to yourself, follow the given advices here and experience the benefit by yourself:

I do not find enough time:

This is a lame excuse as it is not believable that you do not have at least 30 minutes for the job. You can say this only when you grow the habit of not doing anything by yourself. You are actually overlooking your own health. Do not wait to get ill and prepare yourself to get the proper measures to keep you fine and fit. Take exercises regularly and do not show any excuse for not doing these exercises.

Oversleeping:

Exercises are also like medicines that have the capacity to cure certain diseases completely. If you have forgotten to take exercises due to any possible reason, then make sure you take them now. Do not overlook these exercises as they may cause serious consequences later on and that may be bad. So you can take these exercises whenever you get time even if it is for a few moments.

I stayed late at work:

Your work is undoubtedly important but what I want to say is that you should not ignore exercises for your work. Take at least 2 sets of 20 push ups, 2 sets of 20 ad crunches, and 2 sets of 25 jumping jacks. You must try to get the time for exercises as they are really very important and are needed by your body.

It’s too cold/ hot outside:

If this is your problem, then get the required equipments at home for a very reasonable price or else join a gym located to nearer place. You can carry out your exercises from your house or from the gym. This won’t effect your position at all and you will be comfortable here.

My time schedule is too unpredictable to manage:

This is a very common situation but you need not worry here. You can do your exercises after managing your homely matters. It may happen to anybody as work may be urgent and may require immediate attention. So what?

You can reschedule your routine only for that day. Do your exercise whenever you get time but make sure that it does not happen frequently. The only thing I wish to say that exercises are serious matters, and do not make fun of them. Continue doing them and feel good and healthy.

Truth About Lyme Disease Home Page: http://www.truthaboutlymedisease.com
Truth About Lyme Disease Video : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGQINypsf7g

Always check w/your MD regarding advice given by me or any member at this forum & any articles & info. at this site. Site disclaimer: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16

Forum locked This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 1 post ]